Online Dental Resource Center
- Careers in Periodontics: This video explores the dental discipline of Periodontics, a discipline focusing on bacterial infections that damage the gums and supporting bones of the teeth.
- Dental Assistants: Typically, dental assistants are chair side during dental exams to assist the dentist. Check out this article for an overview of specific duties performed.
- Dental Hygienists: This overview from the Occupational Outlook Handbook provides a look at the job duties, earnings, and training required to become a dental hygienist.
- Prosthodontic Careers and Wages: Prosthodontics replace missing teeth, handle loss of bone issues, deal with teeth wear, and manage other issues that improve the cosmetic appearance of the mouth.
Dental Organizations / Associations
- Academy of Operative Dentistry: Devoted to operative dentists and supporting excellence in the field, the academy also provides patient educational videos covering important dental topics.
- American Academy of Oral Medicine (AAOM): The AAOM is devoted to oral medicine professionals. Patient information sheets on mouth issues such as canker sores, dry mouth, and fissured tongue is also provided.
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry: Meeting the dental care needs of children requires unique skills. Information for parents, guidelines, publications, and continuing education information are covered here.
- American Association of Orthodontists: Orthodontist complete college, dental school and an additional residency program, giving them the skills needed to specialize in problems with misaligned teeth and jaw problems, among other issues. This organization provides publications, education, and career information just for orthodontists.
- American Association of Women Dentists: An organization created to help female dentist connect, network, keep updated on current research, and recognize contributions in the field made by women.
- American Dental Assistants Association: The association just for dental assistants provides employment information, continuing education opportunities, and publishes The Dental Assistant journal.
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA): The ADEA publishes information on various dental topics, offers education guides for future dentist, and advocates for reform in dental education.
- American Student Dental Association: This organization for students pursuing careers in dentistry provides information on educational opportunities and advocates on issues currently affecting dental students.
- National Dental Association: This dental association represents minority dental professionals around the world with a focus on improving dental care in underserved communities.
Online Dental Journals
- European Journal of Dentistry: Four issues a year are releases by this peer-reviewed journal that tackles general dentistry issues such as dental education, oral health attitudes, dental implant success, and gingivitis.
- Journal of Dental Education: This scholarly journal has an online archive dating back to 1968. Published by the American Dental Education Association, it is one of the most respected and read dental publications available today.
- Journal of Dental Research: Updated monthly, this peer-reviewed journal publishes the latest research and developments relevant to dental and oral sciences. The full archive dating back from 1919 can be read online.
- Journal of Dentistry for Children: For pediatric dentist, this renowned publication is often an essential read. Its focuses on specific issues affecting care of children including physical conditions and behaviors to improve patient care.
- Journal of Operative Dentistry: Published twice a month, this international publication covers the latest clinical research and techniques of importance to the operative dentistry field.
- Orthodontic CYBERjournal: Only published online, this journal can be turned to for papers of use to patient education or for dentists in clinical practice.
- The Journal of The American Dental Association: Quality has always been the focus of this journal since it was started in the early 20th century. Today the peer-reviewed journal is a trusted source for clinical information and the relationship between dental health and other diseases and conditions.
- Dental Angle Online Magazine: This online magazine offers easily accessible dental information written by dental professionals and is of use to the general public or other dental professionals.
- Dental Economics: Designed to help dentists navigate the day-to-day operations of running a dental practice this magazine includes facts on marketing, handling finances, and updating technology.
- Dental Products Report: Multiple magazines are available here in digital or print form for dental professionals including Modern Hygienist.
- Hygienetown Magazine: This interactive magazine looks at various areas of dentistry including clinical data and the latest investigative reports.
- Oral Health in America: This Surgeon General report looks at the public’s understanding of the importance of oral hygiene. Issues of race and access to services are also examined.
- The Dentist: This colorful magazine provides data from dental surveys, breaking research, practice management, equipment, and editorial opinions for dentists in Britain.
US Armed Forces Dental Resources
- Army Dental Corps: Looking for a way to afford dental school? The Army Dental Corps may be an option to consider. Check out the benefits of joining the corps and review the specialties available.
- Dentistry in The Military: This article looks at the importance of military dentist and how joining up can be used to pay for dental school.
- Navy Dental Corps: Review this Navy Dental Officer job description, work environment, specialties, and educational opportunities to determine if the program is a good fit
- Post-Military Dental Care: After serving in the armed forces, dental care may be offered by the military through dental insurance programs.
- TRICARE Retiree Dental Program: This dental plan was created just for veterans. Enroll online, learn more about the program, find local dentists, and review coverage levels at the programs web site.
- VA Career Opportunities: Review a brochure that chronicles the benefits and opportunities of Department of Veterans Affairs dentistry careers.